Questions and (some) answers about project in general:
- Can I use an old iphone screen as a display? Not sure.
- Should I include touchscreen capabilities if I do use an iphone screen? No.
- What should the name of this project be?
- Is there a word for two songs that sound alike?
- How can I include p5.js in order to combine finals? To slowly fade the images on the LCD screen serially connected to the sliding potentiometer.
- Did I choose a sufficient speaker? Can I position the speaker at the bottom of the box?
- I’m thinking of putting the console inside of the cigar box, not on top. Will I be able to fit the speaker properly if I do so?
Bill of Materials
|Cigar Box||1||$0||Brown 10 1/2″ x 7″ x 2 1/4″ rectangular cigar box with clasp|
|Speaker||1||$6.99||Large 8 Ohm Speaker – 4 inch square|
|ON/OFF Button||1||$4.95||Rugged Metal On/Off Switch with White LED Ring – 16mm|
|Color LCD||1||$24.95||2.2″ 18-bit color TFT LCD Display with microDS card breakout|
|Potentiometer (vol.)||1||$0.95||Rotary Potentiometer, 10K Ohm, Linear|
|Potentiometer (fader)||1||$2.95||Slide Potentiometer 10K Ohm 0.5W, 3 1/2″ x 1 1/2″|
|Play / Stop & Next Buttons||2||$1.00||Momentary Pushbutton Switch – 12mm Square|
|Vol Button||1||$1.50||Silver Metal Knob – 1″ D|
|Fader Knob||1||$0.95||Slide Potentiometer Knob, Black|
|LCD||1||$15.95||Basic 16 x 2 Character LCD – White on Black 5V|
Other possible materials include: glue, sugru, paint.
I’d like this project to be fitted inside a cigar box I have. It should be fitted with a speaker and all the components should be contained within the box neatly. All knobs and buttons will be properly laser cut to ensure tight fit.
I’m still trying to decide whether or not I want to have two LCD’s or just have the color LCD display information about the song playing. The point of having 2 is to have the color LCD display a picture of the artist currently playing and then below it, another LCD that’s longer and uses only text to display the song title in black and white. It may be redundant to have both. Perhaps I need to think of another way of displaying the song information. I want the picture on the color LCD to slowly fade along with the song into the next artist. It might be cluttered to have two LCD’s though…
Prototype for Playtesting
Instructions for Use: Press the On Button on the back of the cigar box. Press Play on the top of the box and use the fader to move back and forth between two similar tracks. To move on to the next pair of songs, press the Next button. Turn the volume up if you can’t hear the music.
Do the buttons feel right? Should I paint the box? Is it clear what the fader does?
Does having two LCD’s take away from the experience?