With the three blanks provided to us, laid out on the table in front of me, I started sketching out ideas of how I could use juxtaposition, appropriation, emotion, and complexity.
With this sketch in mind, I quickly brought one blank to the shop and chopped its head off.
Taking some spray paint I had at home, I painted the head red and wanted to play around with a full gold body or a half black half gold one in case one didn’t end up like I wanted it to.
And what do you know…I didn’t love the way the black and gold paint job turned out initially…but then I thought the solid gold one was kind of boring.
To add the first element of emotion I took the two main bodies back to ITP to sand down the bottom. It proved to be a bit difficult to get the angle correct so that the model wouldn’t fall over. I only sanded one as a result, because I didn’t like how much of the body had been taken off in the process.
The model would fall down easily so I knew I had to balance it somehow with the head in its arms.
I started with the nails since I would need a lot of surface area to rest the wood on in order to get the nails in properly and bend them into arms with a pair of pliers.
A second after I took that photo… it’s arm fell off.
Out with the glue!
The red head would bit fit inside a tiny box.
With dead eyes.
I super-glued the box to the nail hands…
Fit some soldering wire around the antenna…
And then went to get some tin foil to make a cape out of.
The head moved around too much so I put a little paper towel inside to stay in place.
But then I realized that the box, when open, blocks the eyes and face completely!
So I cut off the sides.
And I like how it came out!
My cape was open on the side,
So I took some of these heavy duty adhesive and proceeded to spray it all over my hands and get it all over the place and that was a disaster for 5 minutes. I remade the cape and ran into the same problem, which led to making it into wings instead, and I’m pretty happy with the result!