Back in the shop for the last time for this class, I set up the 4 Axis to make the final pieces only this time I edited the support height and width to be bigger in order to cut down my milling time.
I got it down to 3 hours of roughing and half an hour of finishing,
and made sure not to tighten the bolt too much like I did with my previous piece that ended up with lines all over the top of the face.
While the delrin was being milled I got out the vinyl cutter to make the eyes.
I sketched out a few eyes with the paintbrush tool and proceeded to watch instructional videos about how to set up the cutter properly.
Then, after exporting the file in the proper format I opened up Silhouette Studio and imported my file.
Everything looked ok to go…or so I thought.
But what came out was a mess and I struggled to figure out how to outline the lines I had drawn in Illustrator.
The paper wasn’t being fed correctly through the cutter but I couldn’t figure out how to move the chassis so that it could feed it straight through. Unfortunately, I just had to give up and rely on printing the eyes at home due to time constraints.
While the rest of the delrin was milling I played around with how I wanted the sticker to look. Creating slits on the side and cutting different parts out from the original print to place them dilligently on the toy’s face.
I didn’t want to cover up all the work I had done on the mouth so cutting the sticker in half lengthwise seemed to make sense.
Once I had the three remaining white pieces I dyed them using the same technique as the first one and for the same amount of time to ensure the color would match.
They came out nicely.
I took the Illustrator file I tried cutting with and printed it out on printable vinyl sticker.
The eyes needed to be a little bigger to hide the puckering underneath from putting a flat sticker on a curved surface.
And after printing out several labels, I had a lot of cutting to do. But first, I wanted to spray paint the inside of each mouth flat black.
This was a scary process because there was no room for error and I had spent the last 10 minutes scouring google for tips on how to apply paint to delrin. Not a lot of people had luck with spray paint and this freaked me out.
It took a long, long time to place tape all around the mouth correctly.
Getting the angles required putting tiny pieces of the flat edge of the tape along the mouth and pressing hard to ensure no paint would seep through.
I was very happy to be done with that part, but nervous to begin spray painting!
At first, I did one at a time — mostly out of fear of something going wrong.
But after the first round dried I got more comfortable with the process and added two pieces at once.
And eventually four at a time.
The result was pretty good but I was cautious about taking the tape off, not to rip some of the paint off with it.
Despite my careful taping, some of the paint got on the lips of the piece.
But it was surprisingly easy to take off with my fingernail, which kindof worried me about the paintjob lasting a long time.
I wanted a crisp, to the point sticker to put on the bottle head, and cutting a circle proved to be very challanging.
Made a tongue too to try and lighten up the mouth a little, and then I used Gorilla Glue 5 minute epoxy to secure the caps on the body and let it dry for an hour to be safe.
To my dismay, the epoxy did not hold at all so I had to rush to find whatever I had at home to put the two pieces together securely enough.
I found some heavy duty 3M double sided thick tape and doubled up on it and stuck ’em on and it kindof gave the effect of having the bottle closed but the child’s lock preventing you from opening it.
In conclusion, I really solidified my work flow on the 4 axis making these toys and my VectorWorks skills increased as well. While I don’t enjoy cutting or printing stickers at all, creating the Illustrator files was fun and I’m now more comfortable using Photoshop too. I don’t think I’ll ever want to peel another sticker again in my life, and I wish I had tiny scissors at home instead of the kitchen ones I used to cut everything with. If I had more time in this class, I would have loved to make 3D printed pills with faces on them to either put inside the mouth of each toy or find a way of putting them under the cap, sticking out. Clearly, I would have liked to find a different way of incorporating a sticker into my design that didn’t require dealing with puckering but I’m glad I used the stickers in the end because I worked hard on them.