In the kitchen I find myself using a cutting board a lot, which is not surprising really…there’s one thing I’ve noticed though, about the transportation of the chopped and sliced produce into the pots and pans on the stove — there’s no easy way of doing this without picking up the whole cutting board. I don’t know about you but you I have a pretty hefty chunk of wood as my current board and lifting it over a stove in order to shove the uncooked food into a tiny pot would be a little ridiculous. That’s why having a nice hole in a light, smaller version of the cutting surface would be ideal to avoid making a mess while cooking. But do I make the hole round or rectangular? I don’t want the food to go over the edges so I may make the groove you often find around the edges of a cutting board.
During the milling process there was a brief moment where I thought the cutout circle was going to go flying so I paused the machine. I suppose it was a bit too big and should’ve been screwed down. Noted for next time. Other than that the big CNC definitely has a lot of crazy potential and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The most intimidating part by far was using MasterCam. The program was a bit finicky about where to press when selecting a shape and the number of buttons was a bit overwhelming. Haiyi and I both did our separate projects while supervising each other and that helped a lot – as did Ben helping us out when we got stuck with MasterCam. I’d be interested to use a different material with this machine next time. This was the first time I used wood for a skill builder and it turned out to be very satisfying. I’m happy with the results and will probably try making a cutting board with natural wood in the future.
One other thing I realized was the machine was definitely slanted just a little because when I went to take the cutting board our of the remaining plywood, the breakthrough didn’t go through on the farthest side on the X axis. Regardless, I was able to sand down the chipped wood.
For future reference: I used a down bit for this project and went to Prince Lumber for materials. The file was developed in Vectorworks.