Sculpting The Toy

I changed the idea for my toy since the last assignment. Initially I had an idea to have a bottle of pills and a group of four pills with different personalities, but then I thought the pills would be so small, I wanted to work on a slightly bigger scale.

IMG_2668

So then I changed it to a series of four different pill bottles with personalities based on what the medication creates.

IMG_2669

One of the mock ups, the Prozac pill bottle, made me laugh and I settled on a group of four Prozac bottles, all laughing except for one that’s crying as well. (All housed in a medicine cabinet)

Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 14.14.03

Since I have experience with VectorWorks, I quickly created two cylinders and pulled them by .5″ and 3″. For this mockup I didn’t include the spring and have since decided that I might not want to take that approach because it could look kitschy.

Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 14.19.21

Once I placed the two together I realized the body needed to be cut in half so I copy and pasted the 3″ cylinder and created a 1″ and 2″ to create the mouth.

Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 14.23.42

After creating the mouth I rotated the top half to add expression. It should look like it’s laughing.

Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 16.00.42

After adding all the shapes together and saving as a .stl I brought my file into Cura.

Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 15.46.55

This screen shot is for the low resolution print which I didn’t end up with because I wanted smooth edges.

2018-09-17 16.02.16

The whole process took 5 hours. Almost immediately I noticed that the size of the bottle was way too big. I realized that I had haphazardly created the circles in an unknown size that I eyed out.

IMG_2666

Once my print had finished it confirmed my thoughts about the size of the bottle. I want it to be true to size and am now considering kit-bashing with the cap or the body.

Another thing I realized was that the position of the bottle as straight up and flat on the table didn’t give a lot of emotion to the laughing that’s supposed to be going on.

I didn’t include eyes in my 3D sketch because I wasn’t sure about what I want to do with them yet.

IMG_2667

The back of the head didn’t work out so well in the 3D print, probably because of the angle of it.

Going back to my CAD sketch, I tried playing around with the Fillet tool and gave a rounded edge to the upper lip.

Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 16.19.33

But once I tried making the bottom lip rounded I lost the whole head!

Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 16.19.46

Unfortunately, when I tried to play around with the shape of the body by using the deform tool, I kept getting a “deform tool failed” error.

2018-09-18 18.26.46

I wanted to create an angle at the bottom of the model so I started trying to sand off the material with sand paper by hand. That didn’t work out so well so I moved on to clamping it to the table and bringing it down with a metal file.

2018-09-18 18.26.55

This proved to be laborious and I applied too much pressure at one point and it snapped a bit of the mouth.

2018-09-18 18.27.00

Despite breaking it a little, I learned that I want all 4 toys to have a different bend or angle to the bottom to differentiate them.

2018-09-18 18.32.13

2018-09-18 18.32.18

Next, I wanted to try and alter an actual pill bottle.

2018-09-18 18.32.21

After heating the plastic up with a hair dryer, the mouth was cut with an sharp knife and bent back.
2018-09-18 18.32.45

Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 20.32.02

Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 20.48.26

In VectorWorks, I tried making some pill shaped objects but found that I wasn’t getting anywhere trying to make an oval and a round rectangle rounded on the sides but I kept getting a “Edge Filleting Fail”. Even when creating a 3D sphere, I couldn’t find the right tools to manipulate them into a pill shape.

2018-09-18 18.37.37

Finally, taking some modeling clay, I sculpted some eyes to mess around with the expression of the character.

What I got out of this exercise:

1. The scale of the toy should be true to size.
2. Kit-bashing is something I might want to explore
3. Each toy should have a slightly different stance
4. Eyes might want to be closed
5. Details like teeth, maybe a tongue, pills coming out of the mouth should be added
6. Label should be added (need to work this part out)