Blank Modification

2018-09-06 17.42.08

With the three blanks provided to us, laid out on the table in front of me, I started sketching out ideas of how I could use juxtaposition, appropriation, emotion, and complexity.

IMG_20180908_0004

IMG_20180908_0006

With this sketch in mind, I quickly brought one blank to the shop and chopped its head off.

2018-09-10 16.36.11

Taking some spray paint I had at home, I painted the head red and wanted to play around with a full gold body or a half black half gold one in case one didn’t end up like I wanted it to.

2018-09-10 16.47.40

And what do you know…I didn’t love the way the black and gold paint job turned out initially…but then I thought the solid gold one was kind of boring.

2018-09-10 21.32.54

To add the first element of emotion I took the two main bodies back to ITP to sand down the bottom. It proved to be a bit difficult to get the angle correct so that the model wouldn’t fall over. I only sanded one as a result, because I didn’t like how much of the body had been taken off in the process.

2018-09-11 19.14.39

The model would fall down easily so I knew I had to balance it somehow with the head in its arms.

2018-09-11 19.29.13

I started with the nails since I would need a lot of surface area to rest the wood on in order to get the nails in properly and bend them into arms with a pair of pliers.

2018-09-11 19.29.24

A second after I took that photo… it’s arm fell off.

2018-09-11 19.32.20

Out with the glue!

2018-09-11 19.33.37

The red head would bit fit inside a tiny box.

2018-09-11 19.34.03

With dead eyes.

2018-09-11 19.36.29

I super-glued the box to the nail hands…

2018-09-11 19.38.30

Fit some soldering wire around the antenna…

2018-09-11 20.02.47

And then went to get some tin foil to make a cape out of.

2018-09-11 20.03.25

The head moved around too much so I put a little paper towel inside to stay in place.

2018-09-11 20.07.43

But then I realized that the box, when open, blocks the eyes and face completely!

2018-09-11 20.08.51

So I cut off the sides.

2018-09-11 20.08.55

And I like how it came out!

2018-09-11 20.10.27

My cape was open on the side,

2018-09-11 20.10.56

So I took some of these heavy duty adhesive and proceeded to spray it all over my hands and get it all over the place and that was a disaster for 5 minutes. I remade the cape and ran into the same problem, which led to making it into wings instead, and I’m pretty happy with the result!

2018-09-11 20.22.28

2018-09-11 20.22.35

2018-09-11 20.22.46