4 Axis Maple iPhone Dock

A first go on the 4 axis proved to be a very long one where most of the work is done on the design. Unlike the lathe or even parts of using the big CNC, this machine really does everything pretty much on it’s own with little vacuuming required once start is pressed. None-the-less it’s pretty satisfying to hold a 3D figure of something you made in Vectorworks out of a solid block of hard wood.

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 12.50.31

Wireframe view of model.

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 14.43.03

Isometric view of back.

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 12.41.07

Wireframe isometric view. (Showing a future mistake that will be made.)

 

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 12.05.11

Top view.

And so,

4 axis

taking a block of maple left over from the turning exercise,

4 axis

I measured all the sides with a center finder

4 axis

and generally marked where the wood would be cut.

4 axis

Drilled a hole with a center hole bit for the lathe end of the 4 axis.

4 axis

Placing the wood in the shuck (shank?) (chuck?)

4 axis

and tightened the lathe end.

4 axis

The 3D model in SRP Player.

4 axis

Added tabs to the model after finalizing the Vectorworks file.

4 axis

The process beginning – 2.4 hours.

4 axis

The Axis.

4 axis

Half an hour or so into the process.

4 axis

4 axis

4 axis

An axis turned once to the right.

4 axis

Roughing process.

4 axis

Finishing process.

4 axis

Finished process.

4 axis

Taken off the machine there is clearly no hole going through the wood to allow for a charging cable.

4 axis

Left over pieces and cut and un-sanded, un drilled through result.

4 axis

Sanded down back view.

4 axis

Sanded side view. The cut of the saw made a great design in the wood.

4 axis

Since I didn’t have a hole I made my own. But realized using such a thin bit wasn’t a great idea on the drill press. It was bending but didn’t break so I switched to a bigger one and that things a little messy.

4 axis

The unfortunate hole on the bottom.

4 axis

Back view.

I really appreciate what a rounded bit can do to a piece of wood’s surface. It makes for a smooth effect — at least that’s what I got out of this maple.

Next time I need to remember to make my shapes overlap a bit in my Vectorworks files. I also need to utilize the option of changing the bit mid process so I can achieve not only a beautiful surface and rounded corners, but sharp edges and cut through pieces. Although I made a bit of a sloppy mess of the hole with the wobbly drill press after it all, I certainly learned what I needed to know going into the final now.
………..

4 axis

….And while I was at it I brought out my lathe turned honey dipper to cut and sand the ends off while I refined the ends of the dock.

Wooden Mallet

I used an oak dowel and a maple rectangle of wood to make a mallet on the lathe.
Mallet
After finding the center of both pieces, I loaded the block to shape into a cylinder first.
Mallet
Greatly underestimating the time it would take to bring a rectangle to something manageable.
Mallet
My first half an hour I was shocked to have only made a little progress.
Mallet
This was the first time I had ever tried turning something that wasn’t already rounded, and it definitely made me reconsider my time management.
Mallet
Slowly but surely, things began to take shape.
Mallet
After two hours it looked like this:
Mallet
Which then turned into a slightly rough version of what I wanted the head to look like.
Mallet
After sanding down with a number of different grits, I remembered wanting to make two grooves in the ends of the head.
Mallet
I took an even finer sandpaper to the grain to get into the grooves I just made.
Mallet
After taking it off the lathe, it was time to make a 1″ hole for the handle. For the first time I learned how to use the drill press, and realized that it’s a bit lopsided unfortunately.
Mallet
Making the two 90 degree holes on either side of the 1″ hole I had just made didn’t turn out the way I wanted it to.
Mallet
The hole for the handle wasn’t deep enough, and I had made one of the 90 degree angle holes a little less than 90 degrees on one side so I had to go back and make the handle hole larger to supplement the mistake.
Mallet
Although the holes were not positioned precisely, I managed to get deepen the handle hole which helped make up for the misaligned hole on the right.
Mallet
I measured the width of the hole for the handle and carefully started to turn the oak into a handle with the proper 1″ diameter at the end.
Mallet
After gluing the two parts together it looked pretty good — although the mallet head was a little off center due to the misalignment of the drill press and having to re-drill the hole and a second time.
Mallet
Once the glue had dried for about half an hour I applied a shiny coat of tung oil.
Mallet
In the morning, I realized the tung oil didn’t take very well and decided to wax the whole thing instead on the lathe.